Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 11 (June 21, 2012) – Eat, Pray, Love tour and last dinner


Today was my last day at the Pekara (the greatest bakery place) and I didn’t eat nearly enough buttery pastries. While also my last chance to have freshly picked strawberries and cherries on the veranda at Hotel Kovaci, so of course I took advantage of it.

Ronda, Kristy, Davis, Heidi and I went to on a tour called the “Eat, Pray, Love” tour. We visited many of the historic buildings around town but had some more detailed information about it, such as the site of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, which initiated the first World War. One of the most fascinating things we saw was an old Ottoman house that is over 500 years old. Although mostly destroyed by the war, the house has been renovated to look like new. It had indoor showers and Turkish interior detail everywhere. We sampled our last burek and cavapci, did some last minute shopping before heading back to the hotel to have our last dinner as a group at the brewery.

Ann and Michele presented superlative-type awards to each member of the group. Mine was related to a story that I had told from the beginning of the trip, which seemed to carry on for the rest of the trip. It was a fantastic dinner with some fantastic people and some great beer. I bought some beer and souvenir glasses for my family, before heading back to the hotel to have my last cup of tea with Bessim and his family before packing, showering and getting up super early for my flight back.

Bosnia has changed me in the few days that I’ve been here. The people are the kindest, most welcoming people that I’ve ever met. The history, architecture, geography is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I will come back here and I can’t wait to see how much it’s changed, and hopefully for the better!


Copper smith working 


Handmade rugs

Ottoman House

Davis checking out some hot dad

Thank you Bosnia!

No comments:

Post a Comment